Monday, April 30, 2012

"The Geography of Consolation" by Alexis Paige

Alexis Paige, who attended the 2011 Memphis Creative Nonfiction Workshop last September and blew us all away with her talent, has published one of the best essays I've read in a long time. Get a cup of coffee and hold onto your seats for this one:


"The Geography of Consolation" in the May/June issue of Ragazine.

This is how you do it.

This is how you write creative nonfiction.

So if you want a short course in the genre, or if you want to be inspired, moved, awed, or humbled, read this essay. I had all sorts of responses to it, but I have to admit that my overriding thought on her essay was, "I wish I could write like this."

1 comment:

Bob Norton said...

I read this essay a few weeks ago when you first posted it, Susan. Skimmed it, really. With the intention of going back and giving it a more thorough read in the future. I re-read it today, and it spoke to me on many levels, most of which I am still processing. I admire her stark honesty, that was the overwhelming sense I got, was that she was being absolutely honest in her writing, which is what makes good creative nonfiction so doggone addictive and attractive to me, and find so hard to do myself. Even when I think I'm doing it, I'm not. Thanks for sharing. I have a feeling I'll be reading it again very soon, to let it soak in a little more....