Sunday, December 12, 2010

YEAR END LIST


Following my friend, Corey Mesler’s lead, (Friend Corey on Facebook to read his list) I’m doing my first ever YEAR END LIST, or Susan’s Favorite Things of 2010. (Guess this puts me in with the cool kids over at Slate and the Times, huh? Well, maybe not, once they read my choices….)

Best new TV show I discovered: Chase
Best current TV show: Parenthood
Runner-Up: Mad Men
Favorite TV show ever (and now is over): Saving Grace
Favorite new TV show that didn’t make it: Outlaw

Best cd I bought: The Wrockers’ Stranger than Fiction
Best new cd: Sugarland’s The Incredible Machine
Honorable mention: The Court Yard Hounds
Best newcomers cd: Everything in the Whole Wide World by Lulu Mae (Nashville)

Best movie I saw all year: The Hours, Divine Secrets of the Yia Yia Sisterhood, The Prince of Tides (I watch these over and over and over….
Best new movie I saw: The Kids are All Right
Runners Up: Eat, Pray, Love and Secretariat (didn’t see many movies this year)
Best documentary: Restrepo
Honorable mention: One Came Home, Willie Bearden and David Tankersley's beautiful, moving first film (and my friend, John Sneed, has a part in it)

Best Broadway show I saw: Jersey Boys (at the Orpheum, Memphis)

Best new book I read: MEMOIR: The End of the World as We Know It by Robert Goolrick. FICTION: Crooked Letter Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin.
Best book I read: The Hours, by Michael Cunningham
Honorable mention: Backseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson
Best books I read on my Kindle: The Miracle of Mercy Land by River Jordan and Crossing to Safety by Walter Stegner

Poets I've read a lot of this year: Beth Ann Fennelly, Scott Cairns, Mary Oliver, Mary Fisher-Wirth, Corey Mesler

Make your own list, or leave a comment here to share a few of your favorites from 2010!

1 comment:

corey mesler said...

Nice list. I don't know some of these folks, esp the music.