Friday, March 16, 2012

Creative Nonfiction at the Crossroads

My friend, Kathy Rhodes, is organizing a creative nonfiction workshop in Clarksdale, Mississippi. Check it out:

"Creative Nonfiction at the Crossroads."

Mark your calendars: September 21-22. And follow Kathy on Facebook or her blog for registration information. Each shack at Shacksdale and at the Shack Up Inn is unique.

Check out the "Ernz Shack," where I'll be staying.

Workshop Leader: Neil White. Neil was one of the speakers at the 2011 Memphis Creative Nonfiction Workshop, and organizer (with Kathy and me) for the 2010 Oxford Creative Nonfiction Conference. And... Neil, Kathy and I are already working on plans for the 2013 Oxford CNF Conference, next March.

I'm excited about being included in the weekend. I'll be doing a reading from the brand new anthology, "Circling Faith: Southern Women on Spirituality," just out from the University of Alabama Press. My essay?

"Chiaroscuro: Shimmer and Shadow"

This is me on Wednesday, the day the Fed Ex truck pulled up with my first copies of the book, just as my husband and I were headed out for a walk to watch sunset at the river. I hear it was a beautiful sunset, but I couldn't take my eyes off the book, full of 17 essays by some of my literary heroes, like Mary Karr, Beth Ann Fennelly, Alice Walker, Marshall Chapman, Connie May Fowler and others.

Circling Faith will be in bookstores soon, or you can order one from the University of Alabama Press, and of course, from Amazon.com. We're hoping to have some fun events at independent bookstores this spring and summer, so stay tuned!

See you at the Crossroads in September!

No comments: