Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Broadsided: Putting Literature and Art on the Streets



For my post today, I'm going to share something fun I've just discovered. It's Broadsided, and it's a terrific concept that's catching on all over the world. Writers submit poetry and short prose (up to 300 words) and the selected pieces are then illustrated by a talented team of artists. "Vectors" (like me!) print off the PDF files of the pieces we like and put them up in public places are our cities. A way to share art with the masses, if you will. (And yes, I found it while researching graffiti.)

Here's Broadsided Press's selection for July, 2010, "Replying to SubPrefect Zhang." (Click the image to enlarge.) The poem spoke strongly to my heart, as did the art, by Japanese artist, Yuko Adachi.

The poem is by Poet Wang Wei, the "Poet Buddha" of the Tang Dynasty, when poetry was the center of Chinese cultural life. This piece was translated by Dawn McGuire.

Read more about this and other works of poetry and art at Broadsided Press here.

So, this afternoon I'll head out with several copies of this beautiful work and share it with a few fellow Memphians. Haven't decided on my locations for this first vector experience, but I'm sure I'll post photos on Facebook later. For now, relax and enjoy the beauty and peace of "Replying to SubPrefect Zhang." Just looking at it brings peace, calming my spirit and cooling me in this heat.

Postscript: Broadsided three of my favorite midtown locations this afternoon and evening: Joe's Liquor, Starbucks on Union, and Sekisui Midtown!







2 comments:

Unknown said...

Susan -- Thanks so much for Vectorizing -- both virtually and in the physical world!

The Broadsided Editors

David T said...

A few years ago, I saw a documentary on the phenomenon of "culture jamming"--a form of sociopolitical protest that recasts and subverts commercial messages (often corporate slogans and/or logos) to make a specific statement. You may have come across culture jamming in your research (if not, though, see http://depts.washington.edu/ccce/polcommcampaigns/CultureJamming.htm for details).

All that said, I like Broadsiding much better as a means of countering commercial/corporate/political messages--countering them with beauty. Nicely done, and thanks for bringing attention to it.