Monday, August 6, 2007

The Drop and the Dream

Trying new things at fifty six is a little scary... things involving technology and cyberspace...but here I am. Where are these words going as they fly (yes, I'm fast) off my fingers? Hopefully into the warm, fuzzie hearts of friends, family and fellow writers and artists. Just as I was finishing up my initial template and profile, I was listening to my favorite cd, Kris Delmhorst's "Strange Conversation," and the words of my favorite song, "The Drop and the Dream,"came on, as if to hold my soul gently as I launched into space:

"In twilight and blindness all our work is done, we fumble and flail, we try and we fail, we only are what we almost become. It's both our curse and our grace, here in this place, to reach for heights that we'll never climb, and the distance between the drop and the dream is our one little piece of the divine. It's a weak little flame, it's all we've got to our name, so why be ashamed to let it burn?"

Deep breath. So much to say, but spent the day setting up, so I'm off to the grocery store and other such earthbound duties. Hope to come back up here later tonight and share about my exciting weekend at the Mississippi Writers Guild Conference, so please come back!

5 comments:

Keetha said...

Welcome, Susan! I will visit often. I'm not familiar with "The Drop and the Dream," and I liked what you quoted from it!

J.C. Cushman said...

Hey mom I like the site. Your an inspiriation in many ways, but I hope you know that.

Anonymous said...

Susan...Congratulations! I am so happy that you have been a part of my life for all of your life! You continue to be a source of inspiration to me! Love you. Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Susan, your creations shown on this blog have inspired me. I started painting a few years ago, watercolor, acrylics on various supports including furniture. All of my loved ones say that's okay, but they want my writing. I haven't written lately, but your words and those you quote have started a new spark inside me. Thank you for sharing! Your icons are wonderful! I will share also. I'll let you know where as soon as get some posted. Peace Robert

Susan Cushman said...

Thanks so much, Robert! It's great to hear from you ... it's been, what, 20 years? Are you in Jackson? I'd love to correspond but I don't have your email address. To email me directly, go to my profile and click on my email. Thanks again! Susan